When to add juvenil...

Notifications
Clear all

When to add juveniles to a cichlid tank?  

RSS

ZachV
(@zachv)
September 5, 2020 9:44 am  

Hey there, new to cichlids. I had a Sciaenochromis fryeri pair spawn on me. I thought the eggs/fry were eaten when I moved the fish between tanks. Though I'm sure most were, by some miracle weeks later I notice a tiny fry poking out for food from underneath a sponge filter.

I pulled that fry and it had it's own luxurious 30g tank for many months (learned it really didn't play well with others; a large SAE, Female betta both bullied by a tiny fry). It's a solid 2"+ juvenile today. 

I've recently procured some really lovely yellow lab and yellow tail fry from the August auction. They need that 30g tank. Thinking the Sciaenochromis fryeri juvenile would bully the fry I moved it to my main African tank. There are plenty of little hidey holes between rocks, under wood, etc for it to hang out in but I'm starting to rethink my plan. 

The only fish that MIGHT try to eat the the juvenile is a large red empress. And only if the juvenile was out in the open, it has plenty of small hides the empress can't access. The empress' mouth doesn't seem large enough to fit a 2"+ fish, but maybe?  I've caught tiny northern while fishing with large musky plugs...if you catch my drift. Further, I can't tell the sex on it yet. It hasn't blued up like the Sciaenochromis fryeri males, but there's a shimmer to it that might turn blue down the road. I only have a pair of Sciaenochromis fryeri in there now and I know 2 males, 1 female is a bad combo.

That's my long winded way of asking. What's better? A 2" Sciaenochromis fryeri who's proven to be a bully in with ~30 0.75-1" labs/yellowtails OR in with a set of mature Africans (understocked, a 8 total fish in a 75g)

Thanks for the advice! 

Zach

fishlady
(@fishlady)
Eminent Member
September 5, 2020 1:12 pm  

Just my opinion but at 2" it should be able to be put in with the adults.  You might want to consider stocking the tank heavier to control the aggression.

ZachV liked
ReplyQuote
ZachV
(@zachv)
September 5, 2020 8:22 pm  

The stocking is way to light. The tank's inhabitants came with the tank or I'd have done it very differently. I picked up some BAP'ed fish to grow out and include ASAP. 

Glad to hear that your experience is that that 2" is adequate! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Share: