"whiptail" catfish? - Anyone working with them?

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Natives2WI, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

I would love to find a group for my 125 seeing I keep striking out on timing for plecos for my 125. I believe the ones I would like to find are from the family Hemiloricaria, but most would be fine in the tank. I would prefer none of the "twig" aka farlowellas. If anyone has a lead on some, or a group, or any info on care (as I have read they are easy to spawn in an open end cave?).

Any experience with them, i'd like to hear from you :)
  2. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Easy to spawn yes, easy to raise no.

The fry have to be the most unmotivated feeders I have ever worked with and getting the proper foods and for them to eat them is really challenging.

Andy
  3. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

What species did you/do you work with andy?
  4. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Royal whiptail. Not really sure as to the ID but I was pretty sure they were Hemiloricaria lanceolata. This genera is really hard to identify without collection location as they are very similar. It could also have been Hemiloricaria eigenmanni.

I got two spawns out of them but was unable to raise the fry past 30 days despite all kinds of effort. Then I lost the male. I still have the female who hangs out in my shellie tank.

Andy