What spawned for you recently?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by Marine590622, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Ben A

Ben A Member

My fish have had a productive summer.
    lamprologus tigripictilis, Geophagus Alto Sinu,
    gymnogeophagus terrapurpura(el Norte),
    neolamprologus similis, limia nigrofasciata,
    limia vittata, limia perugiae, black tail dumbo guppies and skiffia francesae. I currently feel overwhelmed with fish and there fry.
    Scott Wiersema and Megan like this.
  2. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Alcolapia Ndalanalani. I saw a fry today, unfortunately it was being chased by a adult. Not sure how many fry are in there.
    Scott Wiersema, SteveS and Ben A like this.
  3. Ben A

Ben A Member

pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi female holding
    Scott Wiersema, Physarum and SteveS like this.
  4. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Neocaridina davidi blue
    Ben A likes this.
  5. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I have albino African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis) tadpoles. I should have some wild type shortly. The male has latched on to the wild type female.
    Ben A likes this.
  6. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Tropheus duboisi mboko. Totally missed the spawn but saw a fry swimming around today. Lots of rock work in the tank so not surprised I didn't see a holding female
    Scott Wiersema, Ben A and Physarum like this.
  7. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Corydoras duplicarius. That's right. "They're back."
    Ben A and Physarum like this.
  8. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Thoracochromis brauschi stripped the female today of free swimming fry. They are so tiny
  9. Tom

Tom Active Member

This past Sunday one of my Angel pairs laid eggs on a piece of slate. I pulled the slate and put it into a gallon jar. Today I started getting wigglers. Tomorrow I will siphon the wigglers out of the gallon jar and put them in a 2-1/2 gallon tank and hope they become free swimmers.
  10. Tom

Tom Active Member

A pair of my German Blue Rams laid a nice batch of eggs today.
    Scott Wiersema, Megan and fishlady like this.
  11. Ben A

Ben A Member

Just moved about a dozen telmatochromis temporalis 'shell' fry to a breeder box. I haven’t had very good luck with raising shell dweller fry. So I don’t have high hopes for these.
    Scott Wiersema likes this.
  12. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Had another holding female but she spit before I could strip her. Hoping the fry survive.
    Ben A and Scott Wiersema like this.
  13. Tom

Tom Active Member

Came home from work today to find a bunch of free swimmers. These GBR free swimmers are really tiny.
    SteveS and Ben A like this.
  14. Ben A

Ben A Member

orthochromis stormsi Female holding and 2 lamprologus tigripictilis females are on eggs.
  15. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I bought newts last month and Triturus carnifex (Italian Crested Newt) are spawning. The male colored up and is growing a crest. The mating dance takes days. The only problem half of the eggs are always bad. It is a defect found in the whole genus.
    SteveS and Ben A like this.
  16. Aqua-b

Aqua-b New Member

Bristlenose Plecos
    Ben A and SteveS like this.
  17. Ben A

Ben A Member

Super red BN plecos on eggs
    Megan, SteveS, fishlady and 2 others like this.
  18. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

The Hemichromis frempongi who have been giving me a hard time finally have a huge cloud of fry. They were constantly killing each other even as I separated out the aggressors into other tanks, until I was down to four of the original ten. Then they looked unhappy when there weren't any more conspecifics to kill, lost their breeding colors, and didn't do anything. One pair eventually got it together and laid eggs, on a leaf, even though every website says they are substrate spawners, which they guarded until they disappeared. I looked everywhere in the tank, holding a flashlight while standing on the top step of a step ladder, just like I warn against in safety training at work, and saw no sign of wigglers for days. The parents didn't seem to be protecting anything. I thought we were out of luck. But last night a giant swarm of fry appeared, so I might be able to BAP these and move on to fish that stress me out significantly less.

Also saw a female Haplochromis chromogynos and three Cyprichromis leptosoma Mpulungu holding.
    bahamafj11, Aqua-b, Ben A and 2 others like this.