What pleco's are you working with?

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by fishlady, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

L271 is the same Genus, but L92 should be fine as far as not crossing.
  2. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

Ok thanks, Just looking for other plecos to work with other than bn.
  3. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

If you enjoy breeding plecos then I would encourage you to shift some of your stock of other fish out to make room for breeding groups of plecos. Both of the L92 and L271 are cool looking fish.
  4. fishlady

Plecos I am currently working with:
    L144, L104, L092, L271, L199, L201, Rineloricia lanceolata, Haven't gotten any of these to breed yet and would appreciate pointers on getting them to breed.
    Bristle nose: sfb, lfb, lfa, lf calico, red. Have gotten all of these to bred except the reds, that I borrowed from Sarah, as they are still to little yet.
  5. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

The L104s may just be too old. You might look at adding to the group to sse if that makes a difference. The l144s should be the same an your standard ancistrus. the l92, l271, l199 and l201s I have read up on but not worked with yet. Maybe Andy can chime in as I believe he has done at least some of these. Otherwise, you have questions for the ask the expert sessions at the Cataclysm.
  6. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Here is the only breeding report I could find on the l092s

Here is a short summary of a spawning of Lasiancistrus which took place in the aquarium of a friend of mine. The fish in question is in the original "Aqualog All L Numbers" book as Lasiancistrus species "Venezuela" (Pg. 40-42), and appears similar to Lasiancistrus scolymnus.

My friend obtained the fish in September 1996 from me. I had decided that the "pair" I selected were actually two males (more fool me!). He wanted a fish to remove algae from one of his cichlid breeding tanks, and I wanted to make space for something I could try and breed, so a quick deal was worked out and all parties concerned were happy (including, so it seemed the fish).

I occasionally enquired after their well being, this was met with a standard reply of "don't see them that much". However, several months later, my friend phoned me up to tell me that he had spotted a small fish in the tank, and upon closer investigation the fish proved to be very young catfish. After a bit of probing around, 4 or 5 more were discovered and he decided that as they seemed to be doing well they would remain in situ. Unfortunately (or so it seemed), they disappeared after a few days. A few days after first seeing the fry he decided to clean out one of the power filters. Imagine his surprise to find 22 healthy young catfish in the filter body along with one or two which hadn't survived!

These fry, which were about 10mm in length, were removed to a smaller tank with plenty of algae for observation. After 6 weeks the young, which had dwindled to 16 in number, reached about 15mm in length. Half of these were placed in a 36" tank with a heavy growth of algae. The algae was quickly consumed by the fry. The diet was supplemented with growth food and algae wafers throughout this period, which is similar to the diet the parents had when in my care. Following this, he has kept a closer eye on proceedings, and recently faxed me a description of another spawning which is as follows:

Both fish disappeared for a couple of days. The female was then noticed with a reduced abdominal area. Three days later some eggs (around 25) were spotted in a cleft behind a large piece of bogwood. The eggs, which were in a clump, stuck to each other and were about 5mm in diameter. They were a "sweetcorn yellow" in colour. Two days after this, the eggs hatched and the new born fry were about 6-7mm with a large yolk sac. Even when newly hatched, the fry showed grazing movements, in spite of the yolk sac, but this may just have been to ensure a sufficient flow of water past the gills.

All in all, I believe this represents quite an achievement, especially for someone who thinks catfish are just there to clean up after real fish (cichlids!). The lucky ****** in question is a member of the North West Cichlid Group, and I look forward to further spawning from this delightful little catfish.

copied from Planet Catfish's reproduction of a Shanes world post.
  7. fishlady

I will do some fish tetris tomorrow and maybe the change will trigger them.
  8. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

I spawned L104 a while back. Mixing up the group sometimes help. But don't discount them as too old. I made that mistake with my L204 and now Jeff Kleba is spawning the ones I sold as too old 2 years ago! I even just bought fry from him. Plecos are very long lived fish and may not mature for many years.

My L271 just spawned for the first time last week. Only thing I did different was add a bunch more caves to the cliff of caves in the middle of the tank. Lots of water changes with soft water help.

bahamafj11 likes this.
  9. jcvang

jcvang Member

I'm planning on breeding some plecos myself.
  10. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I have down sized on Plecos I only have a breeding group of L260 and 125 baby super red bristlenose.
  11. fishlady

If anyone is looking for breeding short fin brown bristle nose I have a bunch of them I want to move out. I am hoping to stop breeding the short fin browns and getting different types of plecos to work with so may consider trades for other types.

I did move the l104's to a different tank with cooler water and more current. I haven't seen any signs of breeding though.
  12. Tom

Tom Active Member

Super Red plecos small.
    5-long fin
    5-short fin
    My first time working with Plecos........Lots of fun really enjoy them.
    jcvang likes this.