What Pleco is this?

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by JustinW, Oct 11, 2012.

1. JustinW

JustinW Member

Wondering what everyone thinks this is?

Attached Files:

2. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Some kind of pseuda. The pinkish Color is unusual. It COULD be a L24/25 but I have never seen one in person. Where did you get it? Where did it come from ( river) and the price?
  3. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

LDA-105 The FireSpot Cactus pleco.

Cool fish, Not common at all.

Andy
  4. JustinW

JustinW Member

It is being marketed as the LDA-105, I am glad that someone confirmed that. Natives very expensive, I got a chance at 5 of them all adult sized. I shutter at buying them and something going wrong tho.
  5. Natives2WI

But the pink coloration , IMO, doesn't seem right. They have white spots in all the pictures on PC. The pink coloration makes me think they could be sick?
  6. JustinW

JustinW Member

this fish is much birghter colored but they are supposed to have a color variation. It was also found in a different area of the river it is normally found in.
  7. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

There aren't that many Pseudacanthicus with light colored spots on dark bodies. And no other ones even come close to the fish pictured. There probably is a lot of color variation in the species but the pink color likely comes from diet (lots of aquatic insects for example).

The reason it earned the common name the Firespot Cactus pleco is due to the red/pink spots they sometimes have.

From what I understand, the pink spots fade to white in aquaria.

I hope you get them and are able to spawn them. I want fry!

Andy
  8. Natives2WI

i couldn't afford the fry :(
  9. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I want fry to. LOL
  10. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Ditto, So do you have them or are you considering getting them?
  11. JustinW

JustinW Member

I was too chicken to pull the trigger, if something went wrong my wife woulda shot me. They are off to Germany
  12. JustinW

JustinW Member

What would you guys value $$$$$$ a wild specimen this size and rarity?
  13. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I seen a couple prices for 4" ones and that was from a couple years ago at $425.00 each. I would think thye still go for around that price or a little higher.