Trumpet snail explosion

Discussion in 'General Planted Aquarium' started by Dragon159, May 4, 2017.

1. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

I need advise, one of my tanks was doing very well, growing anything I put in there. About a month ago plants started disappearing except for a baby java fern and an anubias. Even the well established dwarf lily is gone but I found the bulb. This was followed by almost a cloud of baby trumpet snails. I have been scraping them off the glass and scooping them off the surface daily to the point I could almost fill a baby food jar in a couple days. I added assassin snails but I still remove baby snails daily. Anyone have advise other than tear down and start over? At this point this is the plan for this weekend.
  2. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

Probably your best bet. Soak everything in a potassium permanganate solution.
  3. Mike F

Mike F Executive Board

Sometimes throwing in a bigger fish, especially a sand sifter, can disrupt their life cycle. Would take some time and might not work out well for the plants though. Most cichlids 3"+ will take care of baby snails, leaving a handful of adult snails to pluck by hand. A number of loach species will do a number on gastropods as well.
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Botine loaches like clown, skunk, yoyos are your best bet to control the population. They cannot be eradicated, I have had them reappear from gravel that had been dry for years and a recent bout of ich in one of my tanks exposed a population to copper which is lethal to invertebrates but not the trumpet snails.
  5. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

I'm taking it down this weekend and trashing the substrate and starting fresh. Everything that can be scrubbed will be reused after a good cleaning.
  6. Chuck

Chuck Executive Board

Don't be surprised if they come back. They can last for weeks out of water
  7. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

Just an update on this tank. What I have done was relocate all the fish and remaining plants to other tanks. all hardscape and filters were run through a dishwasher after a thorough scrubbing. Then I let it sit with about ten feet of bare copper wire in the bottom for about a week until I no longer saw any snail activity. I just tore it down today and trashed all the substrate and started with new dirt and gravel and refilled. I will replant right away and throw the goldfish in to start a new cycle. Here's to hoping it works and they remain manageable.
  8. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Advisory Board

Electrifying said wiring might have helped........................o_O
    Dragon159 likes this.
  9. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

not so sure about that, but it would have been an interesting experiment.
    put a neg pole on one end a positive pole on the other and juice it and see if the current drives them out of the gravel....