The Loachaphile's Blog

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Sean S, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I moved a lot of fish around in the fishroom this weekend, not completely done but I got a lot of them moved. When I pulled my Pangio cuneovirgata out I discovered two things, 1, I only lost one (one was swimming funny when I unbagged them initially, so not a surprise) and 2, they got plenty to eat and there were several females that appeared full of eggs. So I called an audible and moved a couple more fish around to free up some space to try my next eel loach breeding experiment.

This time the adults are in a 3 gallon container that sits in a larger tank with a sponge filter for filtration and both a floating and a sinking spawning mop. I am replacing the floating mop every morning to see if I can get some eggs from there. I have read that the eel loaches spawn in surface vegetation and that the eggs adhere to the plants. The mops are being moved to a separate dedicated 20H with additional sponge filters for aeration and potentially a food source for new fry. I will continue this regimen for at least a week, maybe two. I may then try removing the sinking mop more frequently but that will be more difficult as the loaches will be hiding in it and accidentally transferring an adult to the egg/ fry tank would defeat the purpose.

I now have three slightly different approaches going simultaneously with three different species. Hopefully at least one will work and that the technique will transfer to other species. These are definitely challenging fish to breed. I will start working on my next idea in case these don't work.
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Eel loach breeding attempts have been unsuccessful so far. I am a little behind in the fish room but I have begun formulating my next thoughts. I am going to focus on Pangio cuneovirgata as I can easily tell that I have gravid females and this would be an excellent candidate for captive propagation. P. cuneovirgata is a little smaller that the standard kuhlii but still has the neat striping pattern. Additionally they are not commonly available so breeding them would help raise the availablility and, hopefully, popularity of this eel loach. I am hoping focusing on just one species at a time will increase my chances with that species and will be transferable to others.

I have started my next effort by locating the natural range of this species and looking at climate data to see if there may be any seasonal triggers I could attempt to replicate that could induce spawning. The location of P. cuneovirgata in the wild appears to be the Narathiwat province located in southern Thailand. Since this area is very close to the equator fluctuations in photoperiod would likely be of little consequence however climate data suggests that actually hours of sunlight does vary due to clouds in the sky. The actual photoperiod is roughly 12 hours a day but the hours of sunlight varies on average from 3.5 to 6.1 hours. So perhaps varying the intensity of the light might help but the actual day/ night cycle should remain consistent. There is some seasonality to the rainfall in the region but it appears to be more of a wet/ wetter season as opposed to a true wet/ dry season. The driest month still gets 50+ inches of rain (Madison gets around 30+ inches of rain a year, plus 50+ inches of snow). The wettest month gets over 550 inches on rain. I am still researching different aspects of the climate of the region but I suspect with that much rain the water is probably close to a neutral pH most of the time and turbity is likely quite high. Air temperature is also quite consistent with the average daily temperature varying between 79 and 83 degrees all year and even the avaerge high and low over the whole year varying by less than 10 degrees. Do we even have any days in Wisconsin that vary by less than 10 degrees?

Armed with this information I will set out to replicate the climate in Narathiwat, Thailand and see if I can induce P. cuneovirgata to spawn!
    Mike F likes this.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Advisory Board

I was thinking about trying to get my clown loaches to spawn. Haven't researched it yet but any hint's on set up and parameters would be nice. I wish our Wisconsin weather was as predictable as what you described, it sounds nice.
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

From what I have read clown loaches need to be very large (approaching 10 inches) to be sexually mature. There are a few unsubstantiated reports of Hobbyists breeding them but no proof. Fish farms actually milk the eggs and milt from the fish to get fertilized eggs from what I have seen. They may also use hormones. If you could get them to spawn I would vote for a new BAP class!