The Fish Nook

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Aquaticus, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I've been home sick for three days straight. Nasty cold. Good news is that I got the air system running yesterday! I tore apart my pump and gave it a good cleaning. Interestingly, the piston springs are common steel, not stainless, and there was quite a bit of fine rusty dust that is probably due to the pump being located in a high humidity area. I sprayed the whole thing out with canned air and wiped it down, put a couple of drops of Tri-flow on the springs (yes, I know these are no-lube pumps), put it back together and got it all hooked up. 24 fish tank valves, plus 4 1/4" valves that I am going to experiment with later. I went with 1 1/2" pipe, because I had some in the garage that needed to be used up. The black behind the pump is thick rubber. Let's see if this picture thing works this time.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping to have some tanks up by next weekend. I've got to get the rest of the fascia boards put on, and get it all painted first.
    SteveS, Chuck, Megan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

looks good.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  3. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Fascia boards installed, sanded, and painted:

[​IMG]

Next up: touching up the walls, installing the ceiling vent, and getting some tanks set up!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    SteveS and Tom like this.
  4. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Looks great keep up the good work.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  5. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Some tanks are set back up, and yesterday the first fish were transferred to the new room. :)
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Glad you are getting back in business
    Aquaticus likes this.
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Took down the 75s were upstairs yesterday and moved all of the fish to the fishroom. 14 months of overcrowding took their toll, but most of the fish did OK. Here's a Cryptocoryne usteriana that I pulled out. This has to be the worst picture of me ever.

usteriana.jpg
  8. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

But the plant looks jus fabulous
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Spent some time in the fish room today. First time in a long time, and it felt really good. :)
  10. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

So before I tore down the fish room, I crossed an albino longfin bristlenose with a red bristlenose. The fry were all brown long fin, and I'm now getting the next generation of fry from these, which include:
    • Standard brown
    • Brown longfin
    • Albino
    • Albino longfin
    • Red
    • Red longfin
    • Red calico - Red with brown patches
    • Red calico longfin
    Here is a pic with a bunch of fry on Repashy. Fun! Oh, Randy probably has some of the same generation as the parents of these fish that should throw the same fry. I also have some extra parents if anyone is interested.

IMG_20170530_212614.jpg
    Sean S likes this.
  11. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Updated picture of the fish room.

IMG_20170530_212707.jpg
    Mike F and REVTODD like this.
  12. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Video of some Betta rubra spawning. Interesting behavior! They were at it for hours!

Scott Wiersema, Megan and JeffW like this.