The Fish Nook

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Aquaticus, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Do you use any special water for this aquarium with the discus? So much for the theory that you have to keep discus in a sterile glass bottom species tank.
  2. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I don't have any discus.
  3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I must have been in the wrong place
  4. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

5. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Well, the Fish Nook has been dismantled as part of the process of remodeling the basement. Most of the fish are over and Randy's, with the exception of my two 75s that are way overfilled and upstairs in the back room. The new fish room is going to be small, measuring 10'x7', but it should be just my size.

I took some notes of things that I've learned, in no particular order:
    • Label everything - Label the airlines, the plug ins, etc.
    • Fewer, larger tanks - I'm going to go with 18" wide tanks
    • Nooks get dirty - it was amazing to find stuff in the little spaces between tanks
    • Paint your stand
    • Wood should not sit on concrete
    • Start the bottom row of tanks off the floor more. Mine were to close to the floor, and I didn't get as much enjoyment out of those tanks. It might mean having 2 rows instead of three.
    • Use polycarbonate instead of glass for lids
    • Lids - cut a circular hole for food delivery, not a corner cut.
    • Use 1 ½” or 2” drain pipe instead of 1” as drain. 1" was fine, but not if I was draining more than one tank.
  6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Either run all your lights on 1 circuit or a timer
    If you are running individual heaters put them on a dedicated circuit or outlets you can switch off independently so you don't have a fun day of trying to pick glass out of your tanks while smelling dead fish ( but that is another Grimey story) .
    Aquaticus likes this.
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

The Fish Nook has been torn down for a while as I remodel my basement, but I moved my two 75 gallons upstairs and have them crammed full of fish. The Anubias barteri var 'nana' seem to like the current configuration and I've got two blooms in the works. First time that I can remember having Anubias bloom. I'm guessing it is because they like the heavy current that I have going in the tank. Before water change picture with dirty glass. :)

[​IMG]
  8. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

The basement is finally coming along to the point where I am contemplating building the shelves for the new fish room. The new fish room measures about 8x10 and is a fully enclosed room, unlike the prior setup. I'm thinking about doing two racks on each long side of the room with about 15 tanks. I'm looking forward to getting it all setup again!
  9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

half the fun is getting set up.
  10. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Shelves are in progress. Yes, there will be supports in the middle. :) I'm really looking forward to getting my tanks set back up.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  11. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  12. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

No pix are showing. Are they too big for the forum settings?
  13. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Work now?
  14. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Yes they do
  15. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

mine just shows [ IMG ]
  16. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Mine shows nothing
  17. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

It doesn't show for me anymore either, it did when I posted the first time though, weird.
  18. AreYouKiddingMe

AreYouKiddingMe Active Member

maybe the website farted?
  19. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Nope. I see the img tag, too.
  20. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

I saw the pictures to start with, but now that it has been fixed, I just see the img tag.