Sewellia lineolata

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by duxallinarow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

Reticulated hillstream loach (butterfly loach, tiger loach)
    While I still find them hard to sex, I believe we have a pair doing the mating dance here. Or not.
    Either they're engaging in breeding behaviour or I'm going to have to ask my daughter to stop using coffee beans for aquarium substrate.

Cinnamonsticks and tjudy like this.
  2. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Well-Known Member

Looks like fun, whatever they're doing! Good cardio, too.
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Just think Jeff all you have to do is lay on Coffee beans.
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it could be a pair. Males have pectoral fins that are more squared off near the head, while the female has more of a slope to the anterior portion of the pectoral fins. The more aggressive of the two looks like a male to me, the other appears to be a female.
  5. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Those fish are cool! I also like the guy with red above his eyes :)
  6. duxallinarow

Yeah, they look different, but I can never remember which one is squared off and which one is rounded. As I understand it, the guy I got them from has the same problem. ;)
  7. Dave

Males are square.
  8. Witamygreatdanes

Witamygreatdanes Active Member

WOW! Those are some interesting fish!
  9. Witamygreatdanes

I have to get some of those. ;)
  10. JustinW

JustinW Member

I was under the impression that these needed to be in a tank with a strong current to breed? Is this not true?
  11. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

We had a speaker who came in and gave a presentation on these. I have breed them in a medium current tank. Michael has also breed them but I don't know what his set up was.
  12. Witamygreatdanes

I didn't know you had those Randy! Do you ever get babies from them?
  13. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I bred them the first time in a 20L with 1/2 R/O water and a powerhead creating current, the second time it was in a 15 gallon with large stone substrate and a port foam wall filter.
  14. Dave

Mike, what do you feed yours?
  15. duxallinarow

I'm not sure who gave them permission, but the 3 Sewellia in my 20L (holding my Endler's, 4 C. similis, and 3 Sewellia) managed at least one successful tryst. The new little black-and-white spotted beast showed up about a month ago and is now nearly 2cm long – and is starting to sprout his wings.
    Witamygreatdanes likes this.