Raising fry

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by Dave, Aug 30, 2013.

1. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

I place my egg dishes in a basin with water heated to 80.
  2. Rick

Rick Member

Thanks, everyone. I guess I knew that, I was just hoping it wasn't so. TIME TO HEAT'EM UP!
    Aquaticus likes this.
  3. Rick

Rick Member

So I had a plastic container that is 36"X16"X5" laying around. Instead of shoe boxes, I was able to put four 2 1/2's in it with a heater at one end and a small sponge filter at the other. The water is a stable 80 degrees in the bath as well as in the tanks. Since the heater and filter are at opposite ends, I actually get a little current going so there is a nice mix of water. If this doesn't do it, I don't know what will. Thanks everyone fot the suggestions. Wish me luck.
    Rick
    Aquaticus likes this.
  4. Rick

Rick Member

Found about 60-80 eggs of Mel. trifasciatus wenlock creek in the mop last night. I put the mop in one of the heated 2 1/2's. Let's see if this system works!
  5. Rick

Rick Member

OK, another question. This morning I found about a dozen of the Wenlock Creeks hatched out and swimming. How much paramecium water would you add to a 2.5 gal. tank? Could I also add a little APR with it? I did put in about a 100ml of paramecium water this morning.(I tried counting the paramecium, but I gave up at 42,791)
  6. mlaursen

I usually start my bows with a shot of vinegar eels and apr/sera micron. Also seems to help to toss a couple fa shorn snails in there. I actually haven't do e parecium in a while. When I did I just filled up a transfer piper and put it in the tank
  7. Rick

Rick Member

So help this old guy out, Michael. About how many ml's of water did you add and how big of a tank were you using?
  8. mlaursen

2 1/2 gallon and with vinegar eels I didn't really measure. Paramecium I would say maybe 2 ml. It can foul water pretty quickly
  9. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Rick, do you need vinegar eels?
  10. Rick

Rick Member

I do not have vinegar eels.
  11. Dave

If you are in Madison, let me know and I will give you some.
  12. Rick

Rick Member

Just an update on my Wenlock Creek fry. I put the mop in the tank on the 29th. Fry appeared on the 30th. It has been a week since fry first appeared and they are about twice the length of the newbies. I only changed about an 1/8 of the water. I thought rainbows were sensitive to big water changes. It looks like this might be working. There are about 60 of the little ones zipping around. Any other suggestions?
    Rick
  13. Dave

I think water changes are fine, but you have to match the temp. You can shock them if the water change drops the temp too much. I think that is what happened to me with some of the rainbows that I tried to grow out. One way to avoid this is to start with the water level low, and then just add water instead of changing water for the first week or two.
    Aquaticus likes this.
  14. Rick

Rick Member

thanks
  15. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

I killed a bunch of rainbow fry with too cold of water. +1 on Dave's comment.
  16. Dave

When Gary Lang was in town his mantra was hot, hot, hot.
  17. Rick

Rick Member

So here is the latest in the "Rick tries to raise rainbow fry saga" I had two of the four 2.5 gal tanks that were in my 80 degree bath with rainbows in them. One had about 60 Wenlock Creeks in them and the other had about a dozen herbertaxelrodi. One day all of the yellow rainbows are gone. Nothing, no bodies, no stressed fish. I go to clean the tank and there is a fry about 1/2" long. I have no clue where it came from. I now know what happened to the fry. Another"glass breaks, fish die" episode!
  18. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

Grimey award!
  19. Dave

What kind of fry is it? Are you power feeding killifish fry with rainbow fry? Looks like it is working!
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  20. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

If the lone fry is a rainbow, that's what Gary calls a tearaway. A fry that quickly outstrips the other fry in the group and then predates on them.