Proper water for Crystal or Tiger Caridina Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Scott Wiersema, May 10, 2017.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

If you want to get some at the meeting you will need to set up the tank in advance. I used the product brand (Salty Shrimp) Shrimp for both KH and GH to re-mineralize the RO water. price $18 This will last a long unless you planning to do a large number of tanks.

You will need A soil substrate help keep water slighty acid like 6.8 pH and stable.

Jeff W recommended this product at this location

https://www.discobee.com/collections/sl-aqua/products/sl-aqua-nature-soil

It is enough for three 10 Gallon tanks. Maybe some people can double up. $40
    I used the small grade. clump size

I set up a tank and have berried female almost ready to release. These shrimp are seasonal so do not produce babies year round.

I was warned to buy a big enough group. They tend run mostly males(30% female). You do not want to mix groups from different sources. They can carry diseases that can kill one or both groups.
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    JButkus and Jason K like this.
  2. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

This is of course more than one way to do this. I just want people to succeed. This was the third time II bought crystal shrimp. I was able to keep them alive. The added bonus they are reproducing!
    Mike F likes this.