Need Idea's and possibly help- Liner developed a leak

Discussion in 'General Pond Keeping' started by fishlady, May 4, 2019.

1. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Looks like my pond liner has developed a leak. I want to put a new liner in over the old one but I have a few issues that I want to take care of since I am going to have to drain the pond and move rocks etc.

I need something that I can put behind the old liner to stop the dirt from falling forward. I have a couple of spots that the dirt clearly had a cave in behind the liner so now it bulges out in those area's. It would need to be something that is rot resistant, can conform to curves but still have the needed strength to hold back the dirt. It can't be anything that would puncture the liner either. Thoughts?????

The other thing I need to do is build up some areas because when I fill the pond as far as I can there is still a lot of the liner showing in a bunch of areas. Not sure how to do this without it all caving in.

Would really appreciate some help with solving these problems and replacing the liner when the time comes.
  2. power

power Member

Land scaping felt or liner protecting felt . I use it with my ponds before I install the epdm .its kinda cheap cost wise and roots have a hell of a time growing thru it and is reasonable puncture proof.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Does it have the strength to keep the dirt from collapsing down behind the liner? Need something that will keep the walls straight up and down and not bulging out. Pond is just shy of 3' deep.
  4. power

power Member

5. power

power Member

That link is just a example of what I was mentioning . They have different weight fabrics, it does help protect the liner and help with support
  6. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Thanks, hopefully that will do the trick. Our pond has been in place for 17 years so it's do for being re-done. Just not looking forward to moving all those rocks :(
  7. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Does anyone know if you can use the rubber roofing material as a pond liner or is it not safe for the fish and plants?
  8. power

power Member

I would not risk it , I have called and talked to local building companies about just that. There could be additives added to the epdm that could kill the fish . Pond safe epdm is reasonable cheap but the shipping for bigger liners is expensive. Go to pond paradise in cottage groove he’ll cut you a piece. I think it’s roughly $1-2 a sqft. There is other materials out there that are cheaper RPE, pvc (sucks), polyurethane. These can be cheaper due to lighter weight
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  9. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Ok I will check into pond paradise. The liner I got last time is a 15 x 20 foot.
  10. power

power Member

nothing greater then a new pond build , I can only go 5-6 years before I get a itch to redo something mostly bigger in my case. I would pull out the old liner redo the hole form and install the geofabric then new liner . there could be something sharp that (root, rock, old nail) made the hole or age at 17 years. the geo will help hold the dirt and help protect the liner from those objects
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  11. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

Would anyone be willing to come help????
  12. fishlady

fishlady Administrator

We managed to get it patched and it seems to be holding.