Mystery Hap

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Dragon159, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

A friend picked up these little haps and asked me to help identify them. I don't know my cichlids that well yet so I turn to the knowledge base here. All I can tell is they are haplochromis but I could be wrong. hap1_resized.jpg hap2_resized.jpg hap3_resized.jpg
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

How big are they? A colored up male may help in identification. It does look like possibly a Victorian.
  3. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Wild guesses are haplochromis sp. blue obliqidens or sp. Kenya gold
  4. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

All are young about 2 inches. They were clearanced out at Watertown Wally World so he bought everything at $.50 a fish. I was thinking the Kenya gold too. We might have to wait until a male colors up. I am supposed to go over and "steal" a pair but silly me wants to try and grab a true pair at least, I might need to talk him out of all of them.
  5. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

Ob peacocks
    Mike F likes this.
  6. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

The lateral line is showing up dark because the top 2 fish are a bit stressed and the ob pattern is a bit light at thus size on possible girl ob. wouldn't believe Walmart has anything besides your mixed bag of Malawi .Same fish at our Walmart here. I believe that is your mystery fish. Give them a week and get some pics when they settle in to get a 99.9% ID. Can't go wrong for 50 cents. They are striking as adults .
    Dragon159 likes this.