Looking for a plant place

Discussion in 'Madison Aquatic Gardeners Club' started by Natives2WI, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

I am looking to order some plants online and I was wondering if anyone had a good place in mind? the place I used to order from is no longer in business.
  2. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

I sometimes buy plant packages from other hobbyists on Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central, but of course you are limited by what they are selling. You may try posting in the "Wanted" forums. I have ordered from aquariumplants.com before, and I thought they were good. I've heard mixed reviews of Arizona Aquatic Gardens, especially around their substitution policy. They will send similar species without asking.

My best results were getting plants from Ted when he did a plant order last year. I'm hoping he'll do another one when the weather improves (even though I'm pretty well stocked at the moment). :)
  3. Natives2WI

I will check them out. I was wondering if ted would do another soon or not. I know Jeff (Aquaticclarity) just did an order, but didn't have what I wanted.
  4. Mad5cout

Mad5cout Active Member

Of the few plants I planted in my new tank, I have had extremely good luck with the plants at petsmart. if you are looking for other varieties you could also try aquaticjungles.com or liveaquaria.com
  5. gordon

gordon Active Member

+1 for Ted's and Jeff's plants. Both of them may be able to find the plant species you are looking for when they place their orders. There has been a fair variety of plants that have been coming into the MAAH meetings of late. Some uncommon stuff in small amounts, but all you need is a little if you can grow plants well.
    bahamafj11 likes this.
  6. Natives2WI

I am not looking for super rare stuff, just things that people don't tend to get. I am looking for cabomba furcata , wide leaf sag, rotala repens, and some smaller vals (I only have jungle vals and they are too big for what I am working in.)

I may have to get in contact with Jeff as I need some more Malaysian drftwood for my project. I know he has some regular dwarf sag, which could work.
  7. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

With regards to Val/Sag, I've got some Cyperus helferi going from PetsMart that is really, really pretty. It grows much slower than Val or Sag, and has a grass look. I've got it both in tanks with Excel dosing and soil and also in tanks without. Recommended and inexpensive.
  8. Mad5cout

Mad5cout Active Member

liveaquaria has broadleaf sag (Sagittaria platyphylla). Not sure if that is the variety you are looking for.
  9. Mad5cout

Mad5cout Active Member

Is this the stuff you gave me a cutting of?
  10. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

Nope. Val. Nana?
  11. Mad5cout

Mad5cout Active Member

right... where did you pick that one up?
  12. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

Ted's order last year.
  13. Careful

Careful New Member

I had a really good experience ordering from Planted Aquariums Central. Good selection, decent prices, and they sent me extras of pretty much every plant I ordered. A++ would highly recommend.