Keeping Scorpions

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Scott Wiersema, May 17, 2019.

1. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

My nephew asked for a pet scorpion a couple month. I found for a reasonable price. I am in the process of setting-up the tank. I have a trio of Arizona Bark Scorpions. They are hardy and easy to keep. They are often unwelcome guests in Arizona homes. A neat thing is that under black light they glow green. I have tested they do. This is true of all scorpions. They eat small prey like cricket. They should not be handled because of a nasty bite. They cannot climb clean glass. The container needs a tight lids since can sneeze through small spaces.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. Sharon Page

Sharon Page New Member

I lived in Costa Rica in the 90's--in a sort of wild-West province full of real cowboys. We saw scorpions daily, including on top of sheets when you were waking up in the morning... in kitchen cabinets, etc. Most people I knew had been stung, and some of the stings would make you mute for a few days.

A popular past time was to get a scorpion, hold it on its back with an ashtray, etc, and scrape away the gonads (or something in the place you'd expect those to be). After that, it would no longer attempt to sting. You could handle the scorpion safely, carry it around, etc. I don't know what happened to them after this. They were probably helpless in the wild and died soon after. I wondered if you had ever read anything about this.
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I use to breed Costa Rica scorpions back in the early 80's
    Sharon Page likes this.
  4. Scott Wiersema

I looked up how to handle scorpions. The way to pick them up is using a long set of tongs. If you grab them by the tail you still might get bit. I had not heard of the method before. It sounds a bit sadistic. I suspect that one of the females is fat so might be gravid.

I got mind for $10 each plus shipping. I might be able to hook you up.
  5. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

My landlord was not happy with me. My pair of scorpions bred and I had them in a covered tank but when the babies left the parents back they got out of the tank and pretty much disappeared in an 11 apartment complex. they had to put a tent over it and fumigate. we had to stay at hotels for 3 days. He was not happy but he didn't kick me out.This was in an apartment on court street (court street hill) across the street from the court house in Janesville.
  6. Sharon Page

Sharon Page New Member

What an adventure! Eeeeek!
  7. Scott Wiersema

I bought a tight fitting lid. There is product that converts an aquarium to a vivarium. Look at the site we heart geckoes. The vent slot are too big so I glued toulee (mesh cloth) over to prevent escapes. I was recent told a story about escaped baby tarantulas.

My landlord was very unhappy when I had a 20 tall tank break. I was on the second floor. I had to empty dozens of aquariums.
  8. Tom

Tom Active Member

Those are all great stories. I think I will stick with my fish and dog. :)