Hobby tips

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by fishlady, Dec 13, 2011.

1. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

So are you still wanting to change the gravel???
    Witamygreatdanes likes this.
  2. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

3. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Cleaned it again today. Only takes a few minutes this way.
  4. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Only problem I see with this is that you can damage your pump impeller with bleach. It can etch it. Luckily, this is easily replaced.
  5. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I used to have a huge slime algae problem in one of my tanks. I would try and remove it manually very week when I was doing water changes and would spend a lot of time just scouring every last bit to have it just covering everything again in no time. I did some research and found some possible solution such as decreasing feeding, increasing water changes, and using chemicals such as the hydrogen peroxide to spot treat and kill the algae which is actually a bacteria culture. Well I was already doing 20% change a week and feeding as little as possible and I wasn't fond of the idea of putting h2o2 right into my tank so. I kept digging. I finally found a paper that someone wrote buried on the internet about slime algae. They said that these bacteria thrive in low oxygen environments and part of the reason that hydrogen peroxide kills them is that you are subjecting it to a high concentration of oxygen. So what I did was add an airstone to prefilter sponge on one of my aqua clear 50's so the air had a lot of time to dissolve into the water and I had a flow of heavily oxygenated water that just dissolved the slime away starting where the filter flow hit and then spreading throughout the tank. I've kept this setup running since and have never had any slime algae appear.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  6. TOM GERAMBIO

TOM GERAMBIO New Member

Use suction cups and zip ties to attach driftwood to aquarium walls. you can hide the suction cup with moss.
    redefine608 likes this.
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

fish bucket makes great puke bucket, especially the 5 gallon buckets.
    TOM GERAMBIO and TroyZ like this.
  8. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

If you melt snow you get soft, acidic water.
  9. Mike Cullen

Mike Cullen New Member

Great thread. Two things to add:

1. I have fed with automatic feeders for quite some time in my petro and tropheus tanks. I noticed that they fish were pretty skittish when anyone went near the tank. I have since started feeding by hand three times a day and only using the auto feeders for one feeding while I am at work. The fish are MUCH better when anyone goes near the tank. The red bulu beg like little puppies when anyone goes remotely close now.

2. If you run a sump be sure to maximize the space inside of it with filtration material. For a long time I ran a much smaller portion of water in the sump and did not fully utilize the space correctly. I now run a lot more water in the sump and have it loaded with filter media. The amount of bio load in the filter is now incredible.

Nothing earth shattering but I like to hear myself talk!
  10. Witamygreatdanes

Witamygreatdanes Active Member

Great tips, Mike. Are you related to Edward and Bella?
  11. Mike Cullen

Mike Cullen New Member

Jesus no. Those worthless movies ruined a very proud Irish name with tweener vampire images!!!!!
    redefine608 likes this.
  12. Witamygreatdanes

Oh c'mon, I LOVE Twilight!
  13. Mike Cullen

Mike Cullen New Member

I prefer my vampire movies to be graphically violent!
    Witamygreatdanes likes this.
  14. Witamygreatdanes

LOL.. I like the love scenes. :)
  15. Mike Cullen

Mike Cullen New Member

I also prefer that the loves scenes be graphic!!!!!
    followyourshadow and Dusty like this.
  16. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

When "cooking" Repashy, if you place a substantial amount of vaporizing chest rub (like Mentholatum) directly beneath your nose, you will experience significantly less gag reflex at the odor. This only works if you keep your face away from the mixing recepticle. :D
  17. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Administrator

So funny. I actually like the smell! My wife and kids on the other hand...
  18. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't make me gag, but I have had a few cultures go bad that certainly did.
  19. terry

terry Member

What Loft of quilt batting would you use to replace Wisper Bio-Bags or Aqueon filters. There appears to be three or four different Lofts.
  20. TANK

TANK Active Member

Elise likes this.