Hobby tips

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Aquarium Keeping' started by fishlady, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dobber

Dobber Member

I'm a big fan of the Python for cleaning, but wonder aloud if any of you ever found a better solution to the bright green attachment to the faucet. I would get only a handful of uses out of one until the seams would go bad and they'd break or spit water out enough that they were tossed. I found an off-brand this last time that's dark grey but same setup and it seems better but there's still a trickle at one of the joints and guessing this one is going to be falling to a similar fate.
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I use an aqueon 50 foot and hqve had only one leak. just ordered a new part and good as new.
  3. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I don't use that part. I take where it's suppose to screw onto that part and connect it directly to the faucet. When I need to drain the tank I either run water through the python part way and then kink the hose (if it doesn't have the shut off valve) and disconnect it from the sink and put the end into the tub it usually has enough water to start the siphon. If I don't want to mess with that at all. I just put the one end where I want it to drain to and then take the siphon end fill it with tank water and gently lift it out of the tank open end up to start water flowing through the python and then put the siphon end back into the water and quickly get the air out. Makes gravity do all the work. Hope I explained it good enough if not come over and I can show you.
  4. Dobber

Dobber Member

Will have to try that if/when this part fails...I understand what you're getting at....buying a whole new unit (be it Python or Aqueon) doesn't seem to make the most sense....not sure if gravity would work in my case unless I ran it outside instead of to the kitchen sink.
  5. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

If you run it outside your plants/lawn will love it
  6. Dobber

Dobber Member

So might the dogs, and let the digging ensue ;)
  7. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

To feed midget baby corycat about 40% smaller than same age siblings, drop raw Repashy in teleportal while baby is playing in the teleportal. Midget baby will not have nice round full belly like siblings, but this increases the chances of midget growing...
  8. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

Used a utility pump today to clean the pythons. Put hot bleach water into my utility sink hooked the python up to the pump and ran the hot bleach water through the python back into the same sink. This got the inside and the outside of the python clean. I then ran hot water through the python to rinse it, drained it, rolled it up and hung it up to dry. Didn't take much time at all and they all look new again.
    Dobber likes this.
  9. shep

shep Active Member

Been making my rapashy in a small Ice cube tray that came with my mini fridge. They are perfect sized one cube is about one feeding
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  10. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Yeah man....$3 for two trays from Amazon! I make my two kinds and put them into a container in the freezer for baby cory cat enjoyment anytime!
    shep likes this.
  11. jkpedrita

jkpedrita Active Member

I'm sure this is common sense to most. I've spent months wrestling with a siphon during water changes. Today it dawned on me; binder clips and forget it!
    duxallinarow and Cinnamonsticks like this.
  12. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I'm thinking about putting an RO reservoir in the upstairs spare bedroom. There's a hole in the closet floor where a chimney used to be, and I could drop a line down into the drop ceiling of my kitchen where most of my tanks are. Then I could gravity-feed RO or even aged, temperature-adjusted tap right into my aquariums. Of course, while I think this sounds like a great idea now, I do realize that I am totally setting myself up for future floods and Grimey awards.
    Axis and fishlady like this.
  13. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

What's a Grimey worth to you? I'd say go for it, but then again I'm a person who once turned an entire extra bedroom (in a rented apartment!) into a parrot-breeding room. Drywall, trim, and closet doors – decimated by 40 little feathered buzzsaws. It's a good thing I was the apartment manager, I would never have put up with that from a tenant.
    Axis and Aquaticus like this.
  14. mike

mike Active Member

I figured out a trick the other day for cleaning cichlid rock piles. Me and my cichlids don't like moving there rocks. So I found a easy way to get most of the stuff out of them with out moving them. All you need is a bucket. Take out one bucket of water and dump it. Then take out one more bucket of water and poor it back into the tank over the rocks. A lot of stuff that you normally can't get to with a siphon will come flying out.
  15. duxallinarow

duxallinarow Active Member

Nice. Do you vacuum the floaty bits or let the filter get them out?
  16. mike

mike Active Member

I vacuum out what I can and hope the filter gets what I miss
  17. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I think I finally figured out what the smell is that is bugging me so bad. I think it's the garlic in the NLS/thera A. I am not 100% positive on this but I am thinking about doing water changes in all my tanks that I have been feeding the NLS and feed something else and see if the smell stops.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  18. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

My tank has been dark for a while. I thought it was the dirt everywhere, I trimmed the plants, and I thought maybe the lower water level was part of it. I also blame the black gravel. Well after three to four months of whining and pondering, I decided to clean the glass top.

TADA!!

lololol Looks much better!

Eyem sofa king we todd id....
    jkpedrita likes this.
  19. jkpedrita

jkpedrita Active Member

hahahahahaha
  20. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

Funny, I had the exact same thing happen, except it was from some Ken's Fish earthworm pellets with garlic. The fish absolutely loved it. After it ran out and I didn't buy anymore, the smell went away in a couple weeks.