Help needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Health, Disease and Nutrition' started by akfish, Mar 18, 2018.

1. akfish

akfish New Member

Just came home from being out this weekend (Friday through Sunday) and have 8 dead fish. (3 pictus catfish, one siameese algae eater, 2 guppies, 3 tetras) Survivors are one opaline gourami, 4 diamond tetras, 2 black and cream tetras and one guppy.

Here are the facts: 40 gal Planted established tank of 2.5 years with CO2. Water changes 20-25% once a week religiously. Canister filter fluval 206 cleaned once a month, mostly only change the carbon filter every other month and change the polishing pad monthly. Usually just wring out the sponges and reinstall. This last filter cleaning I replaced the sponges just because they were original (Canister filter been on the tank for 18 months from HOB filter)

Water test results: 78 degrees F, pH 7.4, kH 20 dkh, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 40 ppm. The gourami has little white spots on it like ich, diamond tetras look like a million bucks. Guppy is swimming like its about to go next with a white fluffy stuff off its side.

My questions or bad assumptions: i have ich likely but has anyone experienced a die off this bad from it? Its over half my stock in the tank! Is there anything else that comes to mind?

Did a water change tonight and going to keep it up daily for a week with some elevated temps to get the ich out. Any other suggestions if I have other diseases?

Thank you in advance!!!
  2. Tom

Tom Active Member

Some people say elevating the temp is good. They also say to add API aquarium salt to the tank. One tablespoon for every five gallons.
    The salt is suppose to promote disease recovery. Some plants may be sensitive to the salt.
    akfish likes this.
  3. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Sounds like more than just an ich outbreak, the fluffy stuff on the guppy sounds like fungus. Were your test numbers after the die off or before? It's possible that changing the sponges upset the bacterial balance in the tank. I only change my sponges if they literally fall apart, I have some that are more than 20 years old. I would do larger water changes (50-75%) to make sure if you have a nitrogen cycle problem that your numbers don't get too high. Also, you have probably done this but, check your CO2 tank, make sure it isn't malfunctioning. Personally, I would stay away from salt (although it can sometimes help if used properly) and get an ich med and a fungus med and treat with both. Remember, with ich you have to continue to treat after the ich disappears for at least a week to make sure all the free swimming ich parasites have died. Raising the temperature for ich treatment is a good idea, the organism will go through its life cycle faster. I don't know if its good, bad, or indifferent for the fungus. I would also carefully check the diamond tetras, its possible that extra brillance could be ich cysts and not the fish's natural irridescence.

I hope you are able to save your remaining fish!
    akfish likes this.
  4. akfish

akfish New Member

The water test was after die off and before water change last night.

I have had 4 more dead this evening when I got home from work. Gourami, guppy and the last 2 cream and black tetras.

One of diamond tetras is likely not going to make it, acting wierd and has spots all over it, simmilar to what the gourami had last night. See picture, might give some better details and clues to if this is really just ich.

Tank temp is up to get the ich life cycle shorter, and changed water again tonight.

Any input from the picture is greatly appreciated!!!

Attached Files:

5. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

That looks like ich to me
    akfish likes this.
  6. akfish

akfish New Member

Ok sounds manageable. I had dealt with ich before but, never seen ich clean a tank out of fish this fast. Thanks for the help!
  7. Jerry Wallendal

Jerry Wallendal New Member

I have had both major ich outbreak and followed with fungus outbreak. In both cases I treated with ICH-X which worked very well and lost little to no fish. The big tank was a community tank with lots of species in it. I also treat my tanks with erythromycin and General cure from API. All three can be used together You can go to Aquarium Co You Tube and search med trio to learn more. Sean is right that you should treat for several days (5-7) after Ich is gone. 30% water changes. He is also right about changinging sponges. We change one at a time and just rinse it out. If you changed all at once you may have taken out to much of your beneficial bacteria. Some meds will also do this so be careful.
    akfish likes this.
  8. akfish

akfish New Member

Are any of those meds good for a planted tank? In the past when I had minor ich, or maybe caught it early too, I have been good with elevating the temp to 84 to 85, changing 20-25% water daily for 5 to 7 days and turn on the bubble stone to max. Personally I am against meds because of the side effects of killing the plants.

I will take note and not change the sponges all at once for future reference. It is odd because I left the bio media and bio sponge untouched, they just went back in the filter as is, so I felt that I may have been fine with a mechanical filter change.

Thanks for the help! Its a good feeling to have others to bounce my thoughts off when a situation arrises.
  9. Jerry Wallendal

Jerry Wallendal New Member

Yes all of our tanks are planted. Watch the video. He has tested them on hundreds of tanks and says they are plant and invertebrate safe although I'm a little leary off Ich x with methylene blue in it on my shrimp. Would want to check on that.
  10. akfish

akfish New Member

Thank you for the point in the right direction. I have been doing the med trio for six days and the fish in the picture is almost completly clear and appreas no harm to the plants so far.

Thanks a ton again!