has anyone made their own metal stands?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by fishlady, Aug 31, 2018.

1. fishlady

fishlady Well-Known Member

I am thinking about having a metal stand made to hold a 50 low boy on the bottom and a 75 gallon on the top. The only reasons I am thinking metal stands rather than wood is the basement has flooded in the past, and the metal stands leave you more space in between the tanks for access.

Thoughts?
  2. Rockriverfish

Rockriverfish Executive Board

I like the idea of a metal stand for saving a couple inches of space, but you still have to worry about rust in a damp location. Make sure to place something like a piece of pond liner between the concrete floor and the metal leg to prevent corrosion. Have you thought about using cinder block for the legs and steel tubing or heavy gauge angle iron for the shelves?

My bigger concern is having a 75 over anything, since it may make working in the tank difficult because of the height.
  3. fishlady

I just went with Sarah and bought some fish and saw that the person we were getting fish from had a 50 low boy over a 75 gallon on a shelving unit that looks similar to one I happen to have. Now I just need to find some help to put it together and see if the tanks fit on the one I have.
  4. fishlady

Rust is easier to deal with than mold, and my ceiling to to short to use cinder blocks they would take up more space than wood. The ceiling in my "fish room" is only about 5 1/2 -6' lower is some area's as I am about 5'4' and I still hit my head on stuff.