Hardwater Rainbows

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by Troy, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Troy

Troy Member

So I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little bit and most recently rainbow fish have caught my eye (with the slight nudge of my wife.) I have an open 75 gallon that I plan on planting and creating a "biotope" tank for a specific rainbow that is "pretty" (spoken in the words of my wife.) I know most rainbows will put up with less than ideal water parameters but will not breed. I however want to breed any fish I get my hands on. This is where I need your help.

What species of rainbows will thrive in an un-buffered madison tap water tank that will look pretty for my wife and breed for me at the same time? She has shown interest in the larger rainbow fish species. I would also love to source these rainbows from somebody in club if possible. Please help! =)
  2. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

Marcel is a rainbow breeder but I can't remember his forum name.
    Troy likes this.
  3. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Roseline17 is Marcel or is Marcel Roseline17
    Troy likes this.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I have bred many rainbows in Madison tap. The threadfins and furcatas are pretty difficult but most of the larger rainbows can be breed in harder water. I just got Glossiepsis Wanamensis to go in Madison tap. they will probably be ready to turn in, in March.