Freshwater pipefish- breeding

Discussion in 'All Other Fish' started by AssassinJimmie, Oct 31, 2013.

1. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have some michrophis brachyurus and the other day I saw this: image.jpg
    This is the fourth or fith time I've had this pair mate without ever getting live fry. And advice?
  2. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

The light brown things making a x near the bottom?
  3. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

There are three fish partially in the pic I had to crop it down so the file was small enough to upload. All of their heads are facing down. image.jpg here's a full face it's not great glass is a little dirty cause it was a spur of the moment photo shoot.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  4. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

5. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

is it possible that any fry hatching is eaten by the fish in the background?
  6. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

This is very possibly. They seem docile but those pencil fish could be picking off every single fry before I can see them. I'm currently cycling a new tank that my breeding pipes can have all to themselves.
  7. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I do not think that you will get viable fry from this species without spawning them a heavily brackish water.
    Dusty likes this.
  8. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

I have been finding a lot of contradicting information out on the web about freshwater pipefish species their behavior, eating habits, reproduction, and identification of different species. Enough so that I questioned my identification of mine as Michrophis Brachyurus. I have pieced together that michrophis brachyurus is a widely distributed species and can be found from Australia through SE Asia and Africa and even here in the US down in southern coastal states. The only thing that seems to change drastically from region to region is coloration. But I have also read reports of the young needing anywhere from saltwater to brackish to freshwater conditions for raising fry. I tried to look through the speedy bee-point website but which seems to be one of the most accurately informed resources only problem is I don't speak hardly any German so I can't read a whole lot on the web page. I figure the first step regardless of the needs of the fry is to isolate the adults and get them continuing to spawn in their new tank.
  9. AssassinJimmie

AssassinJimmie Chris B

On a side note I noticed some interesting behavior in my pipes recently. I have two males and one female. The males have a red stripe that starts just behind the head and runs a short length down the body before tapering out(see photo above).One male is just slightly larger and has a much brighter line than the other which I assumed made him the dominant male. This dominant male and the female have been paired up and mating for a while and from what I've read once they pair up they stay together. But after almost a dozen tries that I've seen the female has switched mates and now spawns with the smaller male.
    I have also witness the courting "dance" of these fish which I fun to watch. They move forward and back and twist their bodies in weird ways and the males have a sort of squared of body and along each edge they turn black which really neat against their tan bodies. The males dance and the female watches also changing her color slightly and kinda nods along with the males.