Dwarf Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by SteveS, Jul 12, 2018.

1. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

What are examples of dwarf cichlids? I keep a couple very small cichlids like crenicichla compressiceps which are 3 inches or less adult size for males but they dont fit the criteria of dwarf because they are predators. I also have some laetacara thayeri from peru that are very small cichlids at 2.5 inches and am not sure if they would be considered a dwarf. I know apistogramma fall into the dwarf catagory. Its not always based on size as the main factor of being a dwarf as some apistogramma can grow past the size recommendations. I know some shelldwellers can be considered dwarfs. Working on getting a few fish to breed that fall under dwarfs
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

This is my opinion, feel free to disagree. If the maximum adult size of both males and females is under 3" SL and it is classified as a cichlid I would call it a dwarf cichlid, period. Diet, behavior, geographic distribution are irrelevant in my opinion. Personally, I don't see why the C. compressiceps wouldn't fall in that category if neither sex exceeds 3 inches. If you want to argue TL vs SL for the 3 inches I wouldn't quibble.

If the intent of "dwarf Cichlid" classification is theoretically more a temperment argument then dwarf is probably not the correct descriptor.
  3. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

I was wondering if julidochromis transcriptus might fit this. Small little guys.
  4. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

those are a bit on the large side in m opinion. I don't think there is necessarily a well defined grouping. Generally I think of the following groups

Pelvicachromis
    Apistogramma
    Nanocarra
    Crenicichla (dwarf species)
    Nanochromis
    Taeniacara
    SteveS likes this.
  5. Scott Wiersema

Scott Wiersema Executive Board

I would agree that dwarf cichlids is about size nothing else. I would agree that Julidochromis are in the group. Mikrogeophagus both species. Many of the small Tanyiganikans would also fit.
    I have a book labeled dwarf cichlids. It is only about normal breeding size. There are many Lamps and Neolamps in the group.
    SteveS likes this.
  6. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

Ill pick one of these mentioned. Ive bred small cichlids just trying to get that Dwarf catagory done . I already bapped a bunch of easy ones so I need to look at my options for more species i can do just to get it done. Maybe just end up getting a group of apistogramma or nanocara.
  7. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

I have a group of Apistos I'm looking to sell. Don't know how easy they are. I'll ask Chris Berns. I got the hem from him.
  8. SteveS

SteveS Advisory Board

The eunotus?
  9. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

Pm'd you.