Cory Eggs First Time Ever

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Bushman, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Bushman

Bushman Active Member

OMG, I just went down to the basement to feed my fish, and what do I see? No, not eight tiny reindeer. About 200 small clear eggs stuck to three sides of my 20 long. I just put some guppies in a 5 gallon a few hours earlier, after taking out the LF BN albino fry that weren't doing so good in there. So now I had to net out all the guppies and put some of the eggs in there. It was especially fun getting the eggs off of the razor blade I used to scrape the eggs off the side. I left at least 50 eggs in the tank. Caviar anyone? I will be extremely pleased if I get any fry to hatch and not die. The weird thing is, I did nothing to get these guys to spawn. They are close to ten years old and I have never seen eggs before. LOL, the tank is quite dirty and I was planning on cleaning it today.
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

Cool! DO you have any methylene blue? If so, add it to the container with the eggs until it is about 2-3x darker than 'sky blue' and add aeration. The eggs will hatch in about 3 days, but the fry will not eat for another two days or so. If you have microworms or paramecium, go ahead and put a small amount in with the hatchlings a day after they are wiggling about, so there is food in there when they are ready to eat. Once they are eating, I feed baby brine, paramecium and dry Repashy Spawn & Grow (very small amount) daily, and do a 50% water change each day with tank water. (I hatch cory fry in 1 liter plastic cups.) After a week of water changes and feeding I transfer the fry to a grow out bin or tank.
  3. waterboy

waterboy Active Member

I put the eggs in a small glass goldfish bowl with air and a small heater. I have found that 1/4 of a fungus clear fizz tab works. I get them at walmart if you can't find methylene blue. About 1/2 of a fungus clear tablet per gallon seems to keep the fungus away. The fry are really tiny when they hatch you have to watch closely. I feed microworms and newly hatched baby brine shrimp. 50% water change every day with fresh well water. Be careful not to throw the babies out with the tank water. I have albino cories, so if I siphon anywhere near the bottom, I siphon into a black cup and check very carefully for babies before discarding.