Corries

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Marine590622, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Ted made a comment that he had figured out Corries, I was going to pick his brain on that, but figured it might be better all around if we can get him to detail how to succeed breeding corries here.

Ted?
  2. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

I have not figured out ALL cories... but I have come up with a basic system that has produced eggs from 6 of the 9 species I have in the fish room. Here are some tips:

1) sand... cories like sand and do better on it than bare tanks. A few do not mind bare bottoms, but the harder species seem more comfortable on sand.

2) Mops... big thick mops that rest up against the glass. Some species lay eggs in the mop and others on the glass behind the mop. I like a mop that hangs to about 1 inch off the bottom and has a diameter at its bottom of 4-6". THe cories will like to hide under it.

3) Water chemistry... do your homework. Some species like RO and others do not care. For most I use a 50/50 mix to condition.

4) Foods... lots of it. Make them look fat. Black worms are key, but not every day. I feed lots of crushed flake. I recently started using frozen Cyclops-eze and they really love that.

5) Infrequent water changes... when conditioning I try not to change more than 10% a week. Usually I will not do any for two - three weeks.

6) The trigger... on the day before a major weather front passes through (storms are great) do a 50-80% water change with cool RO water. If the cories are ready they will spawn after the front passes.

7) Remove eggs... cories eat their eggs.

8) Dark... cory eggs are light sensative. I use a lot of methylene blue to keep light off them.

These tips are not one-size fits all. There is a lot of info out there on individual species, so research will help. Some species prefer heat (such as C. sterbai) and others need cool (such as SCleromystax barbatus).
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Thanks Ted, looks like 1 and 5 are new ideas for me to try....
  4. dxiong5

dxiong5 Member

Do these tips apply to the dwarf cory types as well?
  5. mlaursen

mlaursen Well-Known Member

With hastatus and habrosis i've usually just kept them in very soft water in 5-10 gallon tanks with yarn mops and fed lots of microworms and brine and babies pop up regularly.
    Cinnamonsticks likes this.
  6. Cinnamonsticks

Cinnamonsticks Moderator

Red for what I've done and got eggs from the C Trilineatus. I have a dark medium gravel substrate and live plants.

I cannot seem to get my pygmy corys to be happy though ><