Chuck's spot

Discussion in 'Member's Blogs' started by Chuck, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I have been crossing Sword tails the last couple of years and have come up with a nice strain of Green Wag swords. I hope to have a group up in the auction in April. Here are a couple of photos. KIMG0945.JPG KIMG0950.JPG KIMG0944.JPG I also have a posting on Chuck's Dirted Tanks on trying to reestablish Corkscrew Val and hope to bring it to auction in a few months
  2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

3. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I could see some pictures of the Black Mollies you guys are working on?
  4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I just posted on my blog ( Chucks Dirted Tanks ) the beginning of a series of posts on the development of a low maintenence pond filled with Aquarium plants and livebearerers. Stop by
  5. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

A new post on Chucks Dirted Tanks on why I am selling a lot of adult fish in the next auction. see below

Attached Files:

6. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Just posted in Chuck's dirted tanks, the why's of the Natural Planted Aquariums and ponds. Hopefully it will answer some of the questions I've been getting
  7. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Just a note that I will be speaking at the New Berlin Ale House on Sept. 21st. It will my presentation on Low Tech All Natural Planted Aquariums. Look at the Milwaukee Aquarium Society site, Chuck's Dirted Tanks or my facebook page
  8. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I will be doing a short presentation on different types of filtration and their impact on water parameters on October 6th at The Pizza Ranch in Waupun . It is a courtesy talk for the start-up club "Dodge and Surrounding Counties Aquarium Club " . For more information, go to their Facebook page or contact Jerry Wallendal on Facebook.
    Jerry has also been kind enough for me to present some of my plants and fish at the vendor swap at the Milwaukee Fish Bowl. I will have a list of items available shortly both here , Chucks Dirted Tanks and available to Jerry. Pricing will follow. This is one of the times that I release some of my more hard to get items due to their slower growth.
    I hope you all get a chance to go to Fish Bowl. These are a lot of fun and are a lot more than a swap or club meeting.
    pogues likes this.
  9. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Here is a of the live plants that Jerry has kindly let me sell on his table at the fish bowl. He has changed his name to Badgerland Aquatics. a lot of these will be just one or 2 bags. I wish I could be there and have the fun with you. In any case I hope that you will all enjoy my offerings

Attached Files:

10. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Chuck Michael
    1 min ·
    stmas Party .
    The owner insisted that we said Merry Christmas to everyone. He said we were not celebrating X-Mas or Holiday's birth, but Christ's. if someone was offended , they could leave.
    This was a special Christmas eve for me because I never had worked one before and I remember it clearly. A few things were memorable that day.
    First we had about 4" of snow and it was still coming down. The store was part of a converted water bed store that was in a commercial area. The entrance was downhill drive that was unfinished gravel with pot holes included. I was on the team to push cars out of the lot and part of the loading crew. I found that champagne helped knock the chill off when I came in. ( Did I say I was 16?) We pushed out a dozen cars that day. .
    In between cars 8 and 9 ,the owner from the water bed store came over to wish us all a Merry Christmas. ( we thought). Actually a 6 foot Burmese Python fell out of the rafters in his store next to a customer and he was a little upset. Everyone in our store knew what happened. It didn't need a gossip line for this one . We all heard it first hand.
    The last customer of the day got stuck. It was a Volkswagon
    Beetle with a 100 gallon aquarium tied to the top. I swear the tank was as heavy as the car. It took us a half hour to have us 6 slightly tipsy (DRUNK) guys to get him out and on his way. I still wonder if that aquarium ever made it home.
    After we closed that night the nicest thing I could of thought of happened. The owner dressed up as Santa and his wife as his elf . They went out and delivered puppies to the customers who purchased them for Christmas. This was a different time and buying dogs from a pet store was quite common. Getting them delivered by Santa on Christmas eve to families was special.
    I want to finish this post off by saying that all these things did happen, It was the 70's and there are a lot of things that I have talked about seem unbelievable . I managed to live through this era with only a little permanent scarring.
    Merry Christmas
    bahamafj11 and JeffW like this.
  11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Chuck's Dirted Tanks
    Published by Chuck Michael · Yesterday at 8:53 AM ·
    It is currently -5 degrees outside and that is supposed to be the high today (without windchill). Of course that makes it a perfect day to write about Tropical fish.I have wanted to write a post about this subject for sometime, but each time I plan to start it, I find new information. I am starting it today and will continue it as time goes on. It is a work in progress.
    I have one Livebearer that I struggle with ( a lot ). It is the Molly. I have heard that a lot of other folks have problems also. I believe that there are number of factors for this . I have had mixed success with them and I believe I am gradually gaining a better understanding as I work with them .I first thought that there were only one or two factors impacting my results. I have come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues. I will start with my early experiences when I was young . I will move forward to today. I will go over what I have done , why and the results. This is ongoing and I will revisit my results in the future. Anybody looking for deep science will have to go somewhere else . Most of this is based off what I have read and then trial and error. I woud like to hear from other folks also.
    My first experience with Mollys goes back to the early 1970's. There were primarily 3 types of Mollys available in my budget. They were the Black short fin Molly, The Black Sailfin Molly and the short fin Marble Molly. Yes, you could get Black Sailfin Mollys at a reasonable price and they were beautiful. These fish always were healthy and displayed well in the dealers' tanks. You could go into a Dime store Like Woolworths and find healthy fish. They did well in my tanks and I had very little trouble with them. They were considered a beginners fish.
    I even saw the original Veiltail Molly and my first Green Sailfin Molly. Both were spectacular but out of my budget.
    I moved on from Livebearers to try other more exotic fish as I grew up. I played around with Marine , Cichlids, Angels etc. I started working in a pet store when I turned 16 in 1974 . I spent the next 12 years working there and saw a lot of changes.
    Over the next 10 years or so, which included most of the 80's Mollys began to fade . More batches came in sick, shimmying, slime, heavy breathing etc. It impacted the cheap black Mollys first, but, pretty soon, you couldn't find much of anything. This was really a period of time when African Cichlids and Marine were leading the expansion of the business. Livebearers, particularly the Molly, were more or less ignored. Eventually dealers downsized the Livebearer section to make more room for the latest fish . Besides, the loss rate was astronomical. The only reason that Mollys were still available , was that all the books said it was a good beginner fish. They were asked for. When you could find healthy ones, they usually deteriorated in your aquarium in a couple of weeks . Besides the shimmying, Mollys were famous for
    sunken bellies. It was called Wasting Disease, TB, Guppy Disease, Black molly Disease. Once they started losing mass , they were done.
    I was out of the hobby and down to one aquarium for a number of years. Guppies and Mollys had all but disappeared from the hobby.
    Moving into the 2000's Mollys and Livebearers started making a come back. The Mollys come in a lot more colors and shapes including the Balloon molly. The Black Sailfin and Veiltail Mollies have pretty much disappeared . One thing has stayed the same though. If you find good Mollys, get them fast. They will break down in the dealers' tanks within a week. They will start to get sunken bellies, and shimmy.
    This post is to bring to light that the animal has changed, the way we care for them has changed, or the way they are raised has changed. I believe that it is a combination of all of the above. I am going to explore various things I have tried , and explore the results.
    In coming posts I will explore Salt, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia , Filtration, what to feed, how often to feed, possible disease and parasites, and the use of plants.
    In conclusion, we need to deal with what we have been dealt. With finding better sources, better breeding and better understanding we can continue to bring the Molly back. Anybody who was in the hobby 15 years ago will remember that the Guppy and Angelfish had all but disappeared from the Local Fish Store. Here are a couple of Mollys that I have purchased and currently breeding. I am still looking for quality Sailfin Mollies

[​IMG]
  12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I just put a post about old Aquarium books and when I was first introduced to the Nitrogen cycle. When and how did you discover that you couldn't just stuff in an aquarium and have them magically live? Even though I was having some success in 1973, (more by dumb luck), I didn't realize what I was doing until I got into my first round with marine aquariums. Here were my bibles The Marine aquarium Guide by Pet Library and Marine Aquarium Keeping by Stephan Spotte. i will be talking more about old books and magazines on Chucks Dirted tanks in the future.
    bahamafj11 likes this.
  13. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

I haven't posted in along time, but still belong to the club . I just wanted to post a Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends
    Megan likes this.