Cataclysm Volunteer and Holiday Party, Friday 12/15

Discussion in 'MAAH Announcements' started by Megan, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Megan

Megan Executive Board Staff Member

Please join other MAAH members and Cataclysm volunteers in celebration of the holidays. Traditionally we have met at a member's house that is gracious to host but this year the Executive Board has decided to spring for something special as a thank you to the people made Cataclysm possible.

This year we will be celebrating at the Goodman Community Center, 149 Waubesa Street, Madison WI on Friday, December 15th from 7:00 PM until 9:30 PM. Goodman will be catering the party and will also be hosting a cash bar.

The menu will consist of three entree selections. Chicken and Portobello mushroom marsala, squash and tofu curry (vegan) and seasonal ratatouille (vegan), plus seasonal vegetables and wild rice pilaf.

Cake will be served for dessert.

Please RSVP with Megan McGuire at megan1967@gmail.com or to this forum thread with your party count by Thursday the 7th.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017 at 8:55 AM
    Aquaticus likes this.
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I plan on being there
  3. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Diana and I will be there. Are we doing a dish to pass? A white elephant gift exchange?

Did we tell the Hodie we will not be there as Steve asked me at the last board meeting to let the Hodie know we would be.
  4. Megan

It was pointed out to me that I did not set a day to RSVP by. I know this is short notice, but please let me know by Thursday Dec 7.

We will not be bringing in a dish to pass, dinner will be catered. In fact, we can not bring in food other than a cake for dessert which the club will order ahead of time.

I think the White Elephant gift exchange is a nice tradition we have started. For those of you who don't know, White Elephant is a gift exchange game.

The game derives its name from the term white elephant as defined by something of dubious or limited value or an object no longer of value to its owner but of value to others. Thus, in its basic form the game calls for people to bring “gag” gifts or gifts they received that they have no use for.

In a White Elephant gift exchange each participant brings a wrapped, unmarked gift and places it in a designated area. Guests are given numbers as they arrive, or their names are randomly drawn, and they select gifts in that order — with a twist.

On the first turn, the person assigned with #1 picks out a gift and opens it so all can see what it is. On the second turn, the person assigned with #2 gets the choice of “stealing” #1’s unwrapped gift or choosing a wrapped one from the pile. If #2 steals #1’s gift, then #1 must choose and open a wrapped gift.

As subsequent players take their turns, they either select a new gift or take any already opened gift from any of the other players. Have any player who has a gift taken away either choose a new gift or take an already-opened gift from another player.

The game continues with the following rules:

• If someone steals your gift, you can steal someone else’s gift or choose and open a wrapped one.
    • Continue until everyone has had a turn for a gift. A turn is ended when an unopened gift has been opened.
    • A gift can only be “stolen” once during a turn. If a gift is taken from someone during one round, she cannot take it back during that same round. She can, however, take it back in a later round if she is in a position to select a gift.
    • A gift cannot be immediately stolen back from the player who just stole it.
    • Once a gift has 3 “owners”, the 3rd owner of a gift gets to keep it – it is retired and can’t be stolen again.
    • The gift exchange ends when the last wrapped gift is chosen and opened.
    After the last turn, the person who started (since she didn’t get a chance at the beginning) can put back the gift and “steal” a gift according to the rules.
  5. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Executive Board Staff Member

Is there a cost associated with this event?
  6. Megan

No, no cost.
  7. kb9skw

kb9skw Executive Board

Cassandra and I will both be there.
  8. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

Saturday, December 16th? Put me down for 2
  9. Dragon159

Dragon159 Member

The better half and I plan to be there. But this could change.
  10. JohnH

JohnH Executive Board

Jeri and I will be there.
  11. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

Is this Friday the 15th or Saturday the 16th?

From the email I received

"Dear Cataclysm Volunteers,

We are having a special holiday /thank the Cataclysm volunteer party on
    December 15 from 7-9:30 pm. It will be held at the Goodman Center in
    Madison. 149 Waubesa St, Madison, WI 53704. Hope you can come!

If I have missed anyone, please let me know.
    --
    Megan"
  12. Megan

Friday the 15th
  13. Megan

Friday the 15th
  14. fishlady

fishlady Advisory Board

Plan on Troy and I, with the understanding we might not be able to show we have 2 grandkids in the house with strep, and Troy has some sort of virus. If we think we are at all sick or contagious in anyway we will stay home. We want to spread joy not germs :)