canister filter advise

Discussion in 'Madison Aquatic Gardeners Club' started by jeri, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jeri

jeri Advisory Board

I have a 37 gal. planted tank that I want to add a canister filter to. The problem is I don't know what kind to buy, I have went to several stores and get nothing except a sales pitch. Help!
  2. fishlady

fishlady Advisory Board

Don't know which one to recommend since it's a planted tank but I do have several different used ones for sale.
  3. Ashley

Ashley Advisory Board

Buy one used or online. Local stores are so over priced. I got mine from Kens fish. I highly recommend a eheim if you can find a good price on one. Otherwise the sunsun units are nicely priced and work great.
  4. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I would argue that in a planted tank current is more important then filtration. But if you are convinced you want to go with a canister then one with multiple baskets for media, so you can replace the media at different times would be best.
  5. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

I agree with Randy. I would not recommend a lot of current in a planted tank.if you do use a canister filter on a planted tank they make an attachment called a "Lily Pipe".it will allow whatever canister filter you decide to use to run at full capacity gallons per hour but lessens the current. I have ran cheap cascade canister filters and I have also ran high end Marineland filters. If you keep them clean I really don't notice a difference between them.
  6. tjudy

tjudy Advisory Board Staff Member

For a planted tank, I like the Eheim classic. Great biological filtration with a relatively low water flow.
  7. TheyJustWantedGoldfish

TheyJustWantedGoldfish Active Member

Ditto on the Eheim classic. I have them running on my planted tanks and I don't find the flow to be that big of a deal if I point the spray bar the right way.
  8. bahamafj11

bahamafj11 Advisory Board

The newer square Eheim design is easier to clean and prime (compared to the classic), IMO.
    Blue2Fyre likes this.
  9. Aquaticus

Aquaticus Advisory Board

I'm going to buck the trend and say biological filtration isn't very important in an established planted tank. I use a power head and a prefilter for mechanical filtration, rinsed during water changes. A lot of plants like high current and are found in moving water in nature.
  10. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I was trying to say the same when I posted "I would argue that in a planted tank current is more important then filtration. But if you are convinced you want to go with a canister then one with multiple baskets for media, so you can replace the media at different times would be best." In fact I can remember a number of situations where the solution to an algae problem in someone's tank was to remove media from the filter and just allow the current to move the water. This allows the nutrients to remain in the water column long enough for the plants to use them.

Gordon's award winning tank from 2004 only had a power head with a sponge pimarily to move water.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004/show112.html
  11. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

All I have on mine is a power head and plants are growing nicely. I do regular water changes and run a DIY co2 system, no fish.
  12. Mad5cout

Mad5cout Active Member

Disclaimer: this post is largely me regurgitating about 100 hours of research online at various forums, online reviews, and youtube and not based on experience.

The benefit of an Eheim Classic is that it has no bypass which means all the water going through it gets filtered. This allows it to have efficient filtering for less power and less flow (which is better for certain types of fish me thinks). The classic does not have easy change baskets but you could probably achieve something similar in one of those by buying some media bags or even just shoving the bio media in some nylons. Basically all of the filters with the baskets allow water to pass over the outside of the baskets. They have much higher flow rate but not all of the water passes over the media.

That said, I have seen some reviews of the Eheim classics having reduced flow over time and get some indications this is because the intake can get backed up since their is no bypass for larger debris to go around. Easily corrected by a prefilter or even just shoving some coarse foam in the intake jobby-thing (what I think I am going to do).

Keep in mind that the SunSun's and other ones like it seem like a good deal at first but they do not come with any filter media while Eheim and some other name brands do. By the time you get done purchasing media, you have spent the same if not more on the filter - that is unless you do things like buy $1 store scrubbies for the biomedia and get your fine filter media using batting from a fabric store (both of which do work).

For a 37 gallon, you could go with a Eheim Classic 2213 or 2215. I went with the 2215 because it can be throttled back using the ball valve if needed and my dream is to upgrade to a 55 later on. I got mine at BigAl's online for a very good price during the holidays.
    Blue2Fyre likes this.
  13. Shae Tanzi

Shae Tanzi New Member

Hi, Jeri, before buying something you can go to search that particular products reviews. Many times I had faced problems when buying something for me or else. Recently I set up my 20-gallon fish aquarium, keeps a lot of fishes like a male betta, loaches, white cloud mounted minnows, neon tetras, corydoras, snails, ghost shrimp etc. But, the main issue is filtration. After lots of research on the internet, I got a great help to buying my first canister filter which is Fluval External 406 canister filter. This is undoubtedly one of the most promising ones. It can filtrate almost 100 gallons of water which is huge. This particular Canister Filter is fit for both saltwater and freshwater aquariums, and many more features. If you want you can check the link: https://fishboxpro.com/best-canister-filter-review/