Call for CBP lists

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by tjudy, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Ashley

Ashley Well-Known Member

I now have Betta Channoides :D
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

3. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Now that my apisto dream for my biocube is out the window, I am interested in finding a cares species that I can keep in a planted 14 gallon Biocube. I would prefer something colorful and easy to keep (possibly a livebearer, but am open to others). What should I look for?
  4. Narwhal72

Narwhal72 Well-Known Member

Licorice gouramis or any of a number of small betta species would be good choices.
  5. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Licorice gouramis would be my choice. If you decide on those I would go in on a few with you.
  6. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Parosphronemus linkei have always been on my "must keep" list. Do they breed easily? ( TheWetSpot on AB has them now and I considered ordering other things from them recently)?

From their list I see :
    Parosphronemus linkei
    Parosphronemus opallios

Are they Cares? (sorry, for some reason I missed the link somewhere to the list of cares species?)
  7. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I seen those on the list and yes they are a cares species.
  8. tjudy

tjudy Executive Board Staff Member

If you are going to keep Paro with the intention of breeding them, please consider that they need a low pH (under 6.0), soft water (ramp up the RO) and will not really thrive unless they are provided a variety of small live foods. They like tannin-rich water with leaf litter, and dimly lit habitats. This is not the best choice of fish for a planted tank. Some plants can handle the conditions, but not a 'traditional' high-light, neutral-slightly hard planted aquarium. Paro are perfectly happy in harder, brighter water, but they will not breed. Like all very small fish (and especially anabantids) they are not long-lived. When I used to keep and breed a few species, the reproductive life span was rarely more than two years.... usually I only had fish spawning well for a few months.

Paro are all on the CARES list, but only one species is listed on the IUCN list. There is an organized effort to make them a conservation priority: http://www.parosphromenus-project.org The website lists habitat destruction as one of the threats, but it is hard to see how commercial collection of wild fish can be excluded as a threat.
  9. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

I have done a lot of reading on them and I know they are difficult. I was going to do a set up just for them but not a planted tank set up. I do want to breed them. I am sure i will have questions when I do get some. Now that I know someone that has bred them. ;);)
  10. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

update
    Paretroplus kieneri
    Girardinichthys multiradiatus
  11. imprezars

imprezars Active Member

Auloncara baenschi
    Haplochromis sp. "Tomato"
    Protomeles sp. "Steveni taiwan" (Taiwan Reef)
    Pundamilia nyererei (Python Island) and (Mwanza Gulf)
    Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga Flamebacks"
    Xystichromis phytophagus
  12. JohnM

JohnM Active Member

Oreochromis esculentus
    Mbipia lutea "yala swamp"
    Ameca splendens
    Melanotaenia boesmani
    Tilapia snyderae
  13. Dave

Dave Moderator Staff Member

Updates: