C.A.R.E.S. Species in the club

Discussion in 'CBP questions and answers' started by Sean S, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Who has CARES species? Lets start making a list. I will transfer any entries here into a club spread sheet.

To be a CARES club we will need to submit our list 3 times a year in January, April, and August. August is coming up quickly and I would like to get our list started so we can participate in CARES this year.

Here is a link to the CARES website page with a list of CARES species
    http://caresforfish.org/?page_id=40

Please list fish by scientific name and location data if available. The following information will be needed to fill out the spreadsheet so if you can add it here great otherwise send me a personal message if you would prefer to not have it listed publicly;
    • Whether CARES has verified your species (details for this can be found on the website)
    • Source of your fish
    • Whether it is an active breeding colony
    • When you got your fish
    • When it was registered with CARES
    • Your email address and club will also be added but those do not need to be given here
    • Any notes you want included (optional)
    Look carefully at the scientific name listed on the CARES site, some of them (cichlids in particular) are different than we would use for BAP, try to list the CARES designation here if possible.

Thanks!

I will list mine to get the ball rolling and to provide a format

Astatotilapia brownae (We would list as Haplochromis for BAP); Not verified, from Steve S, Actively breeding, obtained 4/15/2017, not registered yet

Haplochromis lividus "Murchison Bay" Not verified, from Pat, Actively breeding, obtained 3/19/2016, not registered yet

I have more to list but have to check on some of the details first.
  2. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

Astatotilapia brownae, not verified, juviniles from my own spawn, parents obtained from Mathew S. (GCCA), juviniles born on 3/1/17. Not registered

Pyxichromis orthostoma, not verified, obtained through Mathew S (GCCA), 10/1/2016, actively breeding, not registered

Danakilia sp shukoray, not verified, obtain through Stephen Thornton and Oliver L. , actively breeding, not registered.

Enterochromis sp. Red back scraper, not verified, obtain through Brian Ashbrook 3/11/17, actively breeding, not registered

I need to go look up more dates and decide what I'm going to keep around still. Some of my species I'm donating to the program in other clubs and am moving on based on their availability in the hobby. I plan on dedicating 25 tanks . I have around 20 CARES species right now. Some I am going to move on as they are easy to find in the hobby. Going to focus my efforts in keeping the harder to find and breed.
    Sean S likes this.
  3. Gar

Gar Member

Baryancistrus sp. L081, not verified, From Aqutic arts 12/30/15 Not registered
    Sean S and SteveS like this.
  4. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

My main goal with what I personally would like to accomplish is working with 2 or 3 species only and keeping them around for many years, adding to their bloodline from different sources other than my own offspring to ensure a good strong population of genetics. I don't keep Keep cares species to see how many I can breed, it just happens that a lot of my fish are CARES fish and east africa mainly because I like these type of fish. For one, it will be easier to maintain and keep track of a couple species only, other than trying to breed and pass on quick as I can. If I dedicate 12 tanks to 3 species versus 12 tanks to 12 species , I am doing it as I believe the CARES program is about. With 12 tanks plus dedicated to fewer species I can have multiple groups of a certain species from different possible lineage and ensure if oneday, if they will need to go back back into nature under a program, they will be strong , pure fish. Pushing them through and moving on to the next doesn't do anything for a species that is either extinct or vulnerable. Being recognized as a CARES club in my opinion should be this way.....Several members keeping a few focused species instead of as many as we can. Focus on fish that could possibly be reintroduced one day if needed or stopped from collection all together as they would be established in the hobby and no need for that . Trading with other clubs to get some new bloodline to add to our existing groups. Not have our CARES program be a competition of who can breed the most CARES fish. I am still going to have Cares species in the BAP program , but only a few I will register in the CARES program as a maintained species.
    Gar and pogues like this.
  5. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

The deadline for us to submit our list of CARES species in the club is approaching quickly (August 30th). If you would like your fish listed please contact me before the 30th so I can add it to the list.

Here is a link to the CARES website page with a list of CARES species
    http://caresforfish.org/?page_id=40

This is the list I have so far:

Sean Stake Hypancistrus sp. L333
    Sean Stake Haplochromis thereuteron
    Sean Stake Haplochromis (Astatotilapia) brownae
    Sean Stake Haplochromis lividus "Murchison Bay"
    Sean Stake Haplochromis (Astatotilapia) sp. 44 'thick skin'
    Sean Stake Pyxichromis orthostoma
    Sean Stake Ameca splendens
    Sean Stake Xenotoca eisensi
    Sean Stake Characodon lateralis "Los Berros"
    Sean Stake Zoogeneticus tequilla
    Sean Stake Neochromis omnicaeruleus "Makobe I"
    Sean Stake Xiphophorus kallmani "Catemaco"
    Steve Suchon Haplochromis (Astatotilapia) brownae
    Steve Suchon Pyxichromis orthostoma
    Steve Suchon Danakilia sp. shukoray
    Steve Suchon Enterochromis sp. Red back scraper
    Tyler Hinz Baryancistrus sp. L081
    Mike F likes this.
  6. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

Last call for August 30th submission of CARES species in the club. I will be submitting the spreadsheet to CARES tonight
  7. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

Yssichromis sp. " blue tipped"
    Thoracochromis Brauschi

2 I'm keeping around
    Sean S likes this.
  8. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

The rest I have here I'm going to be passing on soon so no need to list them