C.A.R.E.S. interest

Discussion in 'MAAH Social Forum' started by SteveS, Jun 21, 2017.

1. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

Taking a poll on who would be interested in a CARES program in our club again. The program has recently come back to life with the help of Claudia Dickinson.

In the new program there are achievement awards, a cares club exchange and other exciting things such as keeping these vulnerable and extinct species in the hobby for years to come.

There are quite a few hundred species and this includes all freshwater fish.

I would suggest this be a separate program from the BAP program to avoid adding or changing anything to our current state of the BAP program which has been rebuilt.

CARES would be a separate entity.

Looking for ideas and if there is any interest of how, what and why . If the club board needs to approve it and who would be interested in taking on the project.

I would like to hear feedback on this
  2. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

I would definitely be interested. I am keeping some cares species already because I want to help preserve species if possible. I will give some thought as to how to make it into a club program and post when I have something.
    SteveS likes this.
  3. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

I know you would be interested as you keep many CARES species. Check out the cares Web page that has been set up . It's really interesting and gives ideas how to start up sonething. They also have a Facebook page that started a month ago or so.
    Sean S likes this.
  4. Sean S

Sean S Executive Board

First go at a CARES Program, point values TBD, still need to work out the recognition part. This should be a more involved program, IMO, because keeping these species is vital to their survival. Asking a little more from those who want to participate I think is justified. I haven't looked at the CARES website ideas yet but I will and some of those could be incorporated.

C.A.R.E.S Program ideas
    Each
    X Points for each C.A.R.E.S. species maintained in sufficient numbers for breeding (Annual population report required)
    X Points for submitting a spawning record per species (available once/ year/ species?)
    Reach
    X Points for submitting to club auction at least one pair or group of juveniles annually, double points if donated (can be combined with a BAP submission in applicable).
    X Points for bringing a new C.A.R.E.S. species to the club auction (never been BAPped or submitted through C.A.R.E.S. program)
    X Points for sharing fish with other clubs, maybe with speakers who are interested
    Teach
    X Points for success of others who got your fish- when someone who receives your fish successfully spawns and submits the first time you receive points because it's about propagating the species and increasing captive populations
    X Points for breeding or care articles, maybe mimic planet catfish breeding reports
    Preach
    X Points for not known to be bred in captivity C.A.R.E.S species
    X Points for publishing an article or giving a presentation on a C.A.R.E.S species
    SteveS likes this.
  5. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

Thank you for sharing that Sean . Now we need to bring this to the board and decide if this will be under the BAP program , but a seperate organized branch or just a seperate program itself with a chair and committee. CARES species submitted should get counted for both I definitely agree on, just no extra points in our BAP for CARES species. Just counts as any fish would .

I do like the extra points involved with articles,sharing and everything else involved with the program on its own . Documenting and keeping track of where these fish go is important. I think a little extra work that people want to volunteer their time to put in this is worth to try it in the club again now that it is happening as a nation wide program and a big deal.
    Sean S likes this.