Bristlenose Agressiveness

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Natives2WI, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Natives2WI

Natives2WI Well-Known Member

Ok, so I picked up a possible pair of LDA72's from Jeff on Friday. They are in a 125 with some small breeding geo ipos, same size breeding krobia sp xingu, columbian tetras and a single parancistrus (the one that was bullied in the group, maybe 3" tl). The LDA 72's are maybe 2"-2.5" TL. There is a large stump in the middle with branches coming out for cover and a few rocks piles to hide in. This morning I noticed that the bristlenose both had battle damage on the base of their tails. I didn't see them fight, but is it possible they did it to eachother when they found eachother or do you think the parancistrus did it? There is plenty of space for them all.
  2. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

It could be battle scars from Breeding pair. I had that with a couple Bristlenose pairs and a few days later I had eggs.
  3. Natives2WI

interesting.. I was worried I was going to end up with another massacre in my tank. That very well could be because the first night the male was sitting in a cave and she has been going near that area a lot.
  4. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Just watch the damage and treat if necessary.
  5. Natives2WI

it didn't look too bad this morning, but I will watch closely as I want this pair to be the turning point for me with Bristlenose.. LOL
  6. Natives2WI

well they got into it again and lost the "weaker" fish... after my birthday coming up I am going to have to grab a few more from Jeff Michaels in hopes of breaking my bad habit of having one fish kill others.

I need a breeding bell!
  7. JeffW

JeffW Well-Known Member

Jeff has Breeding bells very good prices
  8. Natives2WI

I just seriously don't understand these fish. Could it be that their diet is more meaty than veggie? They get meat pellets, they get left over black worms, left over brine shrimp, left over earthworm sticks and flakes, and then zucc. every 3 days.
  9. fishlady

fishlady Executive Board

I have 3 bn males sitting on eggs right now. One used the underside of some lace rock, one used a multicolored flourescent multi hole "cave" type decor, the other used a terra cotta (small) flower pot that we cut a 1 1/4" hole in the bottom of and I put it in the tank upside down. I have many pleco breeding caves that ironically they don't use.

Hope that helps.
  10. Natives2WI

I have several rocky outcrops that one would believe they could use for hiding or spawning, and a hole in the "stump" of the driftwood, 2 cichlid stones and 2 breeding tubes all hidden...

I hope i am actually able to breed some :( Hypans, Pecks, and Ancistrini were all easy.. these prove to kick my butt!