beginner rainbows

Discussion in 'Rainbows' started by SteveS, Jul 1, 2016.

1. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

What would be a good rainbow to try and breed for a novice? Maybe someone's experience of what is easier up to the hardest to get to spawn and raise fry. Thank you
  2. Rick

Rick Member

Steve,
    Sorry for the late reply. I have been off site for awhile. My rainbows breed two ways. One because of me and one in spite of me. I have had some luck breeding them like killie fish. I put floating mops in the tank and when they are full of eggs, I transfer the mops to a 2 1/2 gallon tank with a bunch of java moss and NO snails. When I start seeing fry I start with paramecium and work my way up to live baby brine. This has worked with Mel. trifasciata Wenlock Creek, sexlineata Tabubil, herbert axelrodi, Chil. bleheri. I have also found a bunch of fry that were with the parents in a well planted tank. These were Bedotia Ankavia and that has happened twice. I have not had a lot of luck pulling eggs from the mops(like killies). I don't know if touching the eggs damages them or not. Not sure if any of this helps.
    Rick
    SteveS and bahamafj11 like this.
  3. SteveS

SteveS Executive Board

It helps alot. Thank you. I never tried to breed these fish yet. I only kept 1 species ever. Want to try and see if I can get 1 or 2 species soon that are easy to spawn and raise fry.
  4. Rick

Rick Member

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions