Ancistrus controlling snails?

Discussion in 'Catfish and Bottom Dwellers' started by Greg, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Greg

Greg Member

(I posted this the other day in an old thread about snails in the invert thread, but thought this might be a better place for it. I apologize if you read this twice.)

In my 125 gallon, heavily planted tank I had unwanted snails sneak into my tank. My means of control had been squishing any snails I could find each night just to keep the numbers in check. I probably squished maybe 10 or 12 a night, but they kept right on coming. The situation wasn't getting better an I was concerned that it was slowly worsening.

Last weekend I picked up three bristlenose plecos from Todd and introduced them to the tank. Right away the next day it seemed like I had fewer snails to squish, but I thought I was just imagining it. Within two or three days I was down to squishing between 0 and 3 snails per day and have stayed at that level ever since. I have never seen any accounts of Ancistrus controlling snails. I don't think they're killing adult snails, but I do suspect that they're eating snail eggs and keeping the population from exploding. I don't know much about plecos. Is this even possible?
  2. Marine590622

Marine590622 Advisory Board Staff Member

I would say the plecos eating the eggs is a possible explanation except for the statement "withing two or three days" I would be very surprised if you are seeing baby snails at that size... I have intentionally bred snails and I have to say when the eggs hatched I thought I had failed it was a week or more before I could see the babies.

Then again as small as the snails are when they first hatch and considering they came from Todd they may have been hungry enough to attack the baby snails as well;).... just kidding on the last, but as with all things fish related, your mileage may vary...

Also what type of snails? Trumpet snails, Ramshorn, pond, bladder, as this could make a difference as well.