2018 MAAH Annual Holiday Party

Discussion in 'Upcoming MAAH Events' started by Tigerlady, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Hi everyone! We have a great party planned for December 15, 2018 from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. from 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm ***Slight shift in time due to availability of room****. There will not be a regular meeting on this day and no BAPs or GARPs will be accepted.

We have reserved a room in the Brassworks Building of the Goodman Community Center, Brassworks Building, 214 Waubesa Street (kitty corner from the main building).

Entrees will be provided and will include a beef, a chicken and a vegetarian choice. Please bring a dish to share. There will also be a cash bar available.

We will again be having a gift exchange. There are no rules for what your gift should be. It can be something from your "fishroom" or something you picked up at a flea market.

Please RSVP by replying to this thread with how many people will be attending and what type of dish you will be bringing. We'd also like to know how many children will be attending.

Looking forward to see you all at the party!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Randy and I will be there (2) and bringing a cauliflower & broccoli salad.
  3. Megan

Megan Advisory Board Staff Member

Is it a White Whale gift exchange or a serious gift exchange?
  4. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

It can be either, last year we had both kinds of presents.
  5. Megan

I guess I wanted to know because I dont want yo buy a gag gift if others are giving good stuff.
  6. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

I would say its a real gift exchange, but if you prefer a gag would be fine too. We had both last year and I expect we will have both this year as well.
  7. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Please note there is a small shift in the time from original times due to an availability issue with GCC. The new time is 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm. We have to be cleaned up and out of the room by 4:00 pm or additional charges will apply.

Sorry for the confusion.
  8. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Megan, Ted and Craig & Michelle have responded that they will be attending. Not sure what any of them are bringing for a dish to pass????

So there will be at least 6 people in attendance. Anybody else??? Anybody??? Please respond here so I can get an approximate number so we know how much food we will need. THANKS!!! Happy Holidays to every MAAH member and their families!
  9. Megan

I will bring two cherry pies.
  10. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

For the new members and a reminder to past participants, this is how the gift exchange works:

How the Gift Exchange Game Works

To participate in the gift exchange game, bring a wrapped gift of no more then $15.00 in value (gag gifts are also allowed).

Once the number of gifts is determined, numbered slips of paper #1 – through the number of gifts are placed in a bowl and each person who brought a gift draws a number.

In the first round, the person who has #1 picks out a gift and opens it so everyone can see what it is. The round ends.

In the second round, the person who has #2 gets the choice of “stealing” the first unwrapped gift OR choosing a wrapped one from the table. If the person with #2 steals the gift from the person with #1, then the person with #1 must choose and open another wrapped gift. The round ends.

In subsequent rounds the player with the next number will take their turns, they either select a new gift or take any already opened gift from any of the other players. Any player who has had their gift stolen, may steal from a previous player OR may choose a wrapped gift from the table.

The game continues with the following rules:

If someone steals the gift you chose, you can steal a gift from someone else or choose and open a wrapped gift from the table. The round continues until there is a new gift chosen from the table.

The game continues in this manner until everyone who has a number has had a turn for a gift and there are no more gifts on the table.

A gift can only be stolen once during a round. If a gift is stolen from someone during one round, they cannot take it back during that same round. They can, however, steal it back during a later round if they are in the position to select a gift.

A gift can only be stolen 3 times during the game. Once the gift has been stolen 3 times during the game, the gift is retired and can not be stolen again.

After all the wrapped gifts are open, the person with #1 is given the opportunity to exchange the gift they received with one of the other gifts. The game ends.
  11. Physarum

Physarum Executive Board

I guess I'll be able to make it after all. I think I'll make cheesy cornbread casserole. John will most likely come with me.
  12. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Yum!!! I''m glad you can make it!
  13. pogues

pogues Member

There will be 2 of us coming and we'll bring Spring Rolls
  14. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Great ..... always look forward to those spring rolls!
  15. Poconofishy

Poconofishy New Member

As you know Craig, Kai and I will be there. No idea what we’ll bring yet, but we’ll bring something.
  16. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

Awesome, thanks for confirming!
  17. followyourshadow

followyourshadow Advisory Board Staff Member

I replied in a different thread, but just in case it was missed;
    William and I will both be in attendance. I've learned to make some awesome deviled eggs, so we will bring those.
  18. Tigerlady

Tigerlady Active Member

19. Poconofishy

Poconofishy New Member

We will be bringing a large salad to share.